Blueberries contain antioxidants, which work to neutralize free radicals linked to the development of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and other age-related conditions. These little powerhouses provide tasty ways of staying healthy.
Blueberries Nutrition Label:
Health Benefits of Blueberries:
1. Anti-Aging: Blueberries are known to contain a powerful amount of antioxidants. Blueberries help in preventing many types of illnesses and diseases, also slowing down the aging process. This is because their high antioxidant content stops free radicals from forming in your body. Free radicals cause cancer and many other serious diseases.
2. Reduce Cancer Risk: Along with , blueberries also contain other antioxidants like proanthocyanidins, resveratrol, flavonols and tannins that help prevent growth of cancer cells by attacking cancer-cause radicals and blocking the forming of tumor cells.
3. Improve Heart Health: Cardiovascular disease is a major public health concern. Currently, it is the leading cause of death in both men and women. High blood pressure, high blood sugar, and obesity are some of the common conditions that lead to increased risk of heart disease. Meanwhile, blueberries have also been show to protect against cardiovascular disease, reduce cholesterol, lower blood pressure, protect against stroke and reduce oxidative stress due to their high content of antioxidant anthocyanadins that possess great nutritional value.
4. Brain Health: A study from the University of Reading and the Peninsula Medical School in England suggests that blueberries reverse age-related memory loss, since they are natural brain food and thanks to its abundance of antioxidants called flavonoids, which have been found to activate the parts of the brain that control memory and learning.
5. Eyesight: Along with carrots, blueberries provide an excellent source of vitamin A, high in compounds called anthocyanosides, has been found in clinical studies to slow down visual loss.. Blueberries are known to prevent vision loss due to aging, eat blueberries to enhance night vision and quicker adjustment to darkness.
6. Banish belly fat: Polyphenols found in blueberries can break down belly fat, and reduce the risk factors for metabolic syndrome. Blueberries are also low in calories, coming in at about 80 calories per cup and practically fat-free — blueberries are loaded with fiber to keep you fuller longer and keep away constipation. “A study led by Dr. April Stull and Dr. William Cefalu of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center at Louisiana State University found that daily consumption of whole blueberries helped people with a risk for Type 2 diabetes reduce that risk.”
7. Bone health: Blueberries are high in manganese, which plays an important role in bone development