Sweet potato is a yellow or orange-fleshed root vegetable, most popular at Thanksgiving. It is considered as one the most healthy with highly nutritious food that has rich source of flavonoid anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber that are essential for optimal health. Not only sweet potato contains a lot of rich nutritions, it is also readily available, inexpensive, and delicious.
A single serving of sweet potatoes supplies five times the Daily Value for beta-carotene, which protects your cells from free radicals and enhances the functioning of your immune and reproductive systems. Besides, sweet potato is good for stomach ulcers and inflamed conditions of diabetics, as it helps to stabilize blood sugar levels through its slow digesting low glycemic index.
Sweet potato provides a lot of energy that you will need throughout your day and should constitute a staple in your diet.
Sweet Potato Nutritional Benefits:
- Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin B6 which helps in decreasing homocysteine levels, including the prevention of heart attacks.
- Sweet potato is the best carrier of Vitamin C which is a vital nutrient for human body. While most people know that vitamin C is important to help ward off cold and flu viruses, few people are aware that this crucial vitamin plays an important role in bone and tooth formation, digestion, and blood cell formation. It helps accelerate wound healing, produces collagen which helps maintain skin’s youthful elasticity, and is essential to helping us cope with stress. It even appears to help protect our body against toxins that may be linked to cancer.
- Sweet potato is a good source of nutritional Vitamin D which is important and critical for immune system and overall health at this time of year. Both a vitamin and a hormone, vitamin D is primarily made in our bodies as a result of getting adequate sunlight. Issues like SAD (seasonal affective disorder) which is linked to inadequate sunlight and therefore a vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D has the ability to enhance our mood, increase the energy levels, build bones, teeth, skin and heart strong and also give support to thyroid glands.
- Sweet potato is rich in iron which has the ability to boost our energy level. Iron plays other important roles in our body, including red and white blood cell production, resistance to stress, proper immune functioning, and the metabolizing of protein, among other things.
- Sweet potatoes are a good source of magnesium, which is the relaxation and anti-stress mineral. Magnesium is necessary for healthy artery, blood, bone, heart, muscle, and nerve function.
- Sweet potato is one of the best carriers of potassium, one of the important electrolytes that help regulate heartbeat and nerve signals.
- Sweet potato contains twice amount of fiber compared to other varieties of potatoes. The primary function of fiber is to aid in normal digestive processes and prevents constipation or hemorrhoids. Consuming fiber daily in your meal can prevent many diseases especially related to heart and some types of cancers.
- Sweet potatoes consist of low glycemic index that is why diabetic patient can also get benefits from the nutritious benefits of this remarkable vegetable. Consuming low glycemic index food slowly absorbs the glucose and maintains the sugar level in blood at moderate concentration. Sweet potatoes are also believed to minimize cravings and appetite.